Adding new disks, include in volume group

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 15:41:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 11:33, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 11:23, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >

> >>I've got a FC3 system with default disk format as shown below.  Is it
> >>possible to add 2 more drives to the system so that the root filesystem
> >>grows to use them?
> >
> > Looks like root is in a LVM group so yes you should be able to add new
> > disks and grow the root file system.  The tricky part is that you will
> > most likely have to do this from a rescue CD, not sure you can grow a
> > file system that is mounted and being used.  Hopefully someone that has
> > done this will comment.
>
> You can use ext2online to resize a mounted ext2/ext3 filesystem, so a
> rescue CD might not be needed (ext2online can't always resize a
> partition but it'll tell you if it can't).
>
> The procedure basically involves using pvcreate to create LVM physical
> volumes on the new disks, vgextend to add those physical volumes to
> VolGroup00 and then lvextend to make logical volume
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 bigger. You can then resize the root filesystem
> using either ext2online (if it works), or resize2fs from rescue mode if
> ext2online refuses to cooperate.
>
> See the man pages for the various commands to see how they work. See
> also the Linux LVM HOWTO:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Thanks Paul for explaining how that is done.

I have built file systems across multiple drives before but that was
done during install of the system.

BTW: how much of a problem is it with multiple drive file systems when
one of those drives fails?  Assumption here is that no raid is being
used for that volume.

And is a chance of such a failure a multiple of the drives in the
volume?  Or is it higher?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Only people with names beginning with 'A' are getting mail this week (a la Microsoft)