Has anyone tried the new ATi Linux driver, version 8.14.13?

I've had much success using the nVidia Linux driver
because it just works.  I've never had any luck using
the old ATi linux drivers.  Has anyone tested the
newer driver?  How was the install process?  Painful
or Painless?  I'm debating on getting a new card, but
am on the fence on whether to get an nVidia based card
or an ATi based card.  Any comments or insights would
be greatly appreciated!
Thanx...
-Ubence