Dialup

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 14 01:37:12 UTC 2005

Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> Has anyone successfully configured a dialup connection with the modem
> configured to  ttyS4, and  PAP authentification. If so, could you give
> me explicit instructions on how to do it.

Have a look at /etc/wvdial.conf. Change the "Modem =" line to whatever
tty you want.

OR IF (as it is on my system), the line says "Modem = /dev/modem",
  then you need to check the symbolic link /dev/modem to see whether it
actually points to /dev/ttyS4.

I'm afraid I'm not going to spend a lot of time in this e-mail getting
explicit, as all the information regarding basic text editing and
symbolic links are covered at these places:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html (love this one - got me
started learning linux years and years ago).

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/index.html

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/index.html

etc, etc, etc

Good luck and post back if you aren't understanding anything in these
references for clarification.

Regards,
Ed.