Dialup

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 04:06:22 UTC 2005

--- "Thomas W. Cranston" <cranston_tom at asapchoice.com>
wrote:

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am Linux newbie. I am A+ certified (I know-big
> deal)
> >>
> >> I just installed Fedora Core 3 2004-11-03. I used
> System Settings -
> >> Network - Query - entered Password for root -
> Network Configuration -
> >> My USR internal hardware Modem shows up as ppp0.
> >>
> >> Nothing happens when I activate it. Its volume is
> set at very loud.
> >>
> >> I can get out on the web using that machine,
> running Damm Small Linux
> >> (DSL)form the CD player and RAM, so that tells me
> that there is not a
> >> hardware problem.
> >>
> >> I do not see any way to select authentication
> methods from the
> >> Network Configuration. (PAP, Chat, or CHAP) I do
> not see an option to
> >> configure my modem to .......S4 (comm 5) Where
> USR Modems usually
> >> configure to. This is where I place it when
> running DSL. I find it
> >> odd that a lot of Linux distros automatically
> configure the modem to
> >> .....S0 (comm 1), as most hardware modems are USR
> (at least in this
> >> part of the world), and they configure to ....S4.
> How do I make these
> >> choices?
> >>
> >> Now comes the big question
> >>
> >> I tried tail -f /var/log/messages, and got
> permission denied.
> >>
> >> I am assuming that I have root permissions, as I
> created a root
> >> password during the installation, as well as a
> User name and a
> >> password. I use my root password to use the
> network configuration
> >> application.
> >>
> >> How do I log on as root?
> >>
> >> I do not see anywhere to log on as root. After I
> boot up, I am asked
> >> for my user name, and then my password. I do not
> see anywhere to log
> >> on as root.
> >

> > You can log on as root by using the username
> "root" instead of your
> > own username, and then enter root's password.
> However, this is
> > generally a bad thing to do because it's easy to
> do lots of damage by
> > making mistakes when running as root.
> >
> > Instead, you could open a terminal window in your
> regular session and
> > enter the command "su -"; when prompted for the
> password, enter the
> > root password. This will switch you to root for
> just that terminal
> > window. You'll be able to run "tail -f
> /var/log/messages" in that window.
> >
> > You could also try the command-line program
> "wvdial" as an option for
> > setting up an Internet connection.
> >
> > Paul.
> >
> logged on as root,& ran wvdial:
>
> [root at localhost -]# wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
> --> Warning: section [Dialer DeFaults] does not
> [...]

To first use wvdial you need to create the default
configuration.
If in doubt please read.
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/wvdial.html

as superuser
# su
psswd: ****
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

You can also try KPPP, configure the settings and
query your modem till you hit it(find the modem port
ttyS*).
Try to dial from there

It will scan the ports and should find your modem.
Make sure that you know what your ISP asks for.  If
they assign automatic IP address or a static one.
Also DNS nameservers and routers/routes.

Search through
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
In case the above fails.

Best Regards,