FC3->FC4 upgrade hangs whilst installing kernel-smp package

I'm upgrading my test system from FC3 to FC4.
Because I don't have a working CD drive at the moment, I'm installer
from disk, using a /boot/installer directory with the vmlinuz and
initrd from disc1.iso placed there, and a GRUB entry pointing to it.

This works up to a point - but I don't get a chance to run mediacheck
(can I use a boot option in the grub.conf file to invoke this?).
although the SHA1SUM checks pass on the iso images.

Each time the install hangs whilst installing the package:

kernel-smp-2.6.1-1.etc.

--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire