VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jun 14 19:03:58 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:

>>pardon, from eth1, which the hub is plugged into.
>

> OK.
>

>>>It sounds like your upstream setup is configured to allow only one computer
>>>at a time?

>>I've previously looked into the setup you describe, and the problem
>>isn't with the router but with the asus adapter, I believe.
>

>>From that error it still sounds like your upstream setup is configred to
> allow only one computer at a time; whether it is the Landlord's router or
> the Asus wireless adapter doing it doesn't matter much.  Until you can get
> the PAP2 phone thingy to work on your Internet connection without your
> Linux box involved I don't think Linux futzing will help you.

Did you power cycle the wl-330g before plugging the PAP2 into it?  And
you realized that in order to plug the PAP2 directly into the wl-330g
you'll need a crossover ethernet cable....

When your wl-330g wireless access point gets power cycled, it should
renegotiate everything with its wireless internet connection, hopefully
allowing a new MAC address (in this case the MAC address of the PAP2
instead of the computer ethernet card) to be recognized and a new IP
address to be allocated via DHCP (the same mechanism that makes your
eth0 card work).  The only other choice would be to power cycle the
wireless internet connection, but I fear that you don't have access to
that and all the other users of it may be annoyed if you do.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net