Dual Boot Problem

Jessie Veltman sassnak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:37:09 UTC 2005

On 6/14/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> At 12:37 PM -0500 6/14/05, Jessica L. Veltman wrote:
> >>Try booting with a Windows XP CD and running 'fixmbr' in the recovery
> >>console.  That removes any instances of GRUB from the MBR.  I had this
> >>same problem, and after I did that and re-installed Fedora, GRUB
> >>re-installed itself to the MBR, and it worked fine.
> >>
> >>Let me know if you do that and it doesn't work, or if it does for that
> >matter!
> >I tried doing all of that, but the results were the same. After the
> >installation restarted, my computer booted straight into Windows again.
>
> I think your bootsector must be OK or you wouldn't boot into WinXP.  If the
> grub bootsector is being written to /boot instead the disk bootsector, this
> is the expected behavior.  You could copy the bootsector manually with dd;
> something like this will copy the bootsector from /boot to the real
> bootsector:
>
>     dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
>
> Look in /etc/mtab to find out what hda should be, and what number /boot is
> on.  On mine it's actually hde and hde3, so YMMV.  dd is very low level and
> is often used to erase entire disks.  The blocksize and count are
> /important/.  You Have Been Warned.
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

If the grub bootsector is being written to /boot, then if I made only
that disk bootable, it should boot, right? I did try this and it did
not work. I checked grub and it says it is installed at /dev/hda,
whereas /boot is located at /dev/hdb1. So if i did copy the bootsector
but grub isn't installed on /dev/hdb1, then I'd end up with a
completely nonbootable system, correct?