Upgrading using DVD iso image on HD

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 15 07:21:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 22:43 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:20 AM +0100 Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't think it includes the metadata (the FC3 DVD didn't anyway).
> > However, that can be fixed fairly easily: if you've loopback-mounted the
> > DVD at (say) /srv/software/fc4/dvd then running "createrepo" in
> > the /srv/software/fc4 directory should create a suitable set of metadata
> > for using with yum.
>
> Does it create it "out of tree"? The original yum put the headers in a
> subdirectory of the RPMS directory, making it unsuitable for retrofitting
> onto read-only filesystems.

I've now done this myself, so I can write with a little more
authority :-)

Let's say your ISO is: /srv/software/fc4/iso/FC4-i386-DVD.iso
Let's say you've mounted it at: /srv/software/fc4/dvd/
This will place the RPMs at: /srv/software/fc4/dvd/Fedora/RPMS/

Create the metadata as follows:
# cd /srv/software/fc4
# createrepo .

This will create a metadata folder called: /srv/software/fc4/repodata/
That data will refer to the RPMs in: /srv/software/fc4/dvd/Fedora/RPMS/

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>