Sun Java and FC4 java

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 12:36:05 UTC 2005

* Mark Bidewell <mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu> [2005-06-14 17:41]:
> However, I have noticed that FC4 comes with these IBM java compiler

It's the Eclipse Compiler for Java (ecj).

> and that it is embedded pretty deeply into core packages (i.e.
> OpenOffice).

It's not embedded into OpenOffice (or anything other than Eclipse for that
matter ;) .

> Is there any conflict having both available and do the compilers
> conflict?

No, but be careful with installation of the Sun stuff.  Don't use their
RPM, but use JPackage RPMs instead (see other messages on this list for
details).  When you have multiple JVM/JDKs installed, you can switch
between with the alternatives system (/sbin/update-alternatives, for
example).

Andrew