Re: non-root chowning?

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:07:53PM +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
> I have been trying to find out how to chown files while not using a root
> account.

Basically you can't. If you could make things owned by someone else, it
would be a security problem.

> I want to change ownership of a file from user a to user b.
> I tried adding user a to user b's group, and user b to user a's group.

You could make a third group and make them both members of that group, and
make all files they need to share owned and writable by that group. For some
purposes, that may be enough. What are you trying to accomplish?