FC4 unable to reconfigure network from eth1 to eth0

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jun 15 20:09:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 21:42 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 15.06.2005 schrieb Clifford Snow um 21:03:
>
> http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~seabra/linux/FedoraRules.html
>  -> 1. NO HTML MAIL, PLEASE

Sorry - I forgot to change the setting for the fedora-list.

> > FC4 up and running on a Dell 600m laptop.  Upgraded from FC3 using the
> > DVD image.  Upgrade went very smoothly.
> >
> > While waiting for Linuxant FC4 driverloader, I'm using my wired
> > ethernet connection, eth0.  Using system-config-network tool, I've
> > enabled eth0 and disabled eth1.  eth0 is configured to activate on
> > boot and to allow users to control.  Problem is a reboot doesn't see
> > the new configuration and the settings I've saved previously in
> > system-config-network are gone.
> >
> > I've verified that /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 and
> > /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/defaults/ifcfg-eth0 contain the
> > right settings before rebooting.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>

> Check the content of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. And too
> see /etc/modprobe.conf for the aliases for eth0 and eth1.

They both checked out ok.  Did some more investigating.  the network
init scrip changed from FC3.  It was picking up some old ifcfg scripts.
At one time I had an option in grub to select either a wired or wireless
boot. The appropriate setting would be written to the ifcfg-ethx file to
boot with the correct device.  (I didn't like waiting for one to
timeout.)  Now I just boot to wireless, or will once linuxant has
driverloader rpm's for FC4.

Clifford