Phillips web cam breaks both install and boot

John Bray jmblin at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 07:05:39 UTC 2005

i first ran into this with the install.  i would see a message about
disabling one irq and then everything hung.  14 thousand tries later i
noticed that in the bios that irq was related to one of the usb devices.

i unplugged my logitech 4000 webcam, and my APC ups from the usb
connector, and suddenly the install went right on with no problems.

then, i ran into this just now during a reboot.

i rebooted.  during the startup, it said configuring hardware, and then
that was it.

sorry -- i didn't write it down and at that point you can't copy and
paste!  :-(

so.  when i unplugged the cam, the boot went right on.

just like the install.

later when i cranked up motion to monitor that cam, i get the following
from pwc in syslog:

Jun 15 22:42:40 junior kernel: pwc Failed to set LED on/off time.
Jun 15 22:42:40 junior kernel: pwc Failed to allocate decompress table.
Jun 15 22:42:40 junior motion: [1] Failed to open video
device /dev/video2: Cannot allocate memory

i have no clues.  anyone have a take on this?  certainly can't go around
and unplug the cam every time i need to reboot.

BTW, this is a system that worked in FC1-FC2-FC3 with no problems.

alexander dalloz!  WHAT is the answer, oh one of great
knowlege ?????????  :-)

john