Compileing vanila kernel on FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 16 07:51:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 06:47 +0100, Damir Dezeljin wrote:
> So I have few questions:
> - Is the kernel that comes with the distribution compiled with GCC-4.0?
> BTW: Is there a way to get the compiler version from the binary - maybe
> something like 'uname -a', 'file', 'type'?

The kernel and modules are built at the same time, so if you can find
the compiler that was used for one of the bundled modules, that should
apply to the kernel too. The modinfo program can provide that
information:

# modinfo ext3
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
author:         Remy Card, Stephen Tweedie, Andrew Morton, Andreas
Dilger, Theodore Ts'o and others
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.0
depends:        jbd
srcversion:     89DA5C1B28ED7CFDF420E49

So it seems that this kernel was indeed built with gcc 4.0.

> - How can I install the source of the kernel that comes with the distro?
> I'm used to Debian where I can just use 'apt-get install kernel-source'.
> 'yum search kernel-source' didn't return a package matching the kernel
> source.

Read the release notes (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-
notes/fc4/errata/#sn-kernel), and don't try the "up2date" method for
retrieving the kernel .src.rpm; just download it from your nearest
mirror manually.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>