FC4 and YUM

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:07:41 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 16.06.2005 schrieb Truls Gulbrandsen um 19:32:
>

>>please, can someone tell me; is the following yum.conf also good for FC4?
>>
>>http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
>

>>Truls Gulbrandsen
>

> I was never a fan of that monolithic yum.conf style (Max, please forgive
> me :) I know the reason why you are publishing it this way). I heartily
> recommend to create separate repo files below /etc/yum.repos.d/. And
> further, some things changed. So at least I see the repository structure
> is actually different to whats in the FAQ yum.conf.
> With other words: do not use the yum.conf as it is there, but try to
> understand what it intends and I am sure you will learn some nice things
> from it. Also have in mind that mixing repositories can lead to some
> frustration (we read about package collisions here on the list
> frequently); though many repositories are disabled in the FAQ yum.conf.
>
> Alexander

I intend to use that file just to tell me where the repos are--as soon
as someone builds smartpm for FC4, and as soon as all those repos are ready.

The process that the repo managers have been using to get ready for FC4
strikes me as painfully slow. The NewRPMs repo, for example, apparently
didn't get ready for FC3 until April, when FC4 had already been in
testing for some time. Livna just opened a "4" directory a few days ago,
and now I hear that it doesn't have all its packages built yet. (Extras
seems to be all set.) FreshRPMS seems to be ready (I hope it is); Dag
seems to need to build some packages. (Where's smartpm for FC4? I l
searched the directory and didn't find it.) The atrpms directories just
formed yesterday or the day before, and I don't think they're complete
either.

In short, having all those repos will be fine--when the repos are ready
for action. Does anyone want to say when his repo will be ready for me
to configure yum or smart for it?

Temlakos