Network device name changed-fedora4..network in mess..

Hi..
I installed fedora4 this tuesday on my dell latitude d600...i configured for wireless( i have intell 2100) and it was up and running. but once i rebooted my machine, it did not work. i opened the network configuration(system-config-network) and under the hardware tab i saw that the system had swapped my device names( it was now eth0 for wireless and eth1 for ethernet) Other things remained same. Under the devices tab it would still show eth0 as ethernet and eth1 as wireless. so when i was trying to activate the wireless, i got an error message saying check cable. to fix the problem i changed the names under hardware tab. but it didnt get fixed. i played around a bit more with these names, but no solution. now my network configuration is in a mess. i can use neither ethernet nor wireless. can i reset things back to default without having to reinstall fedora ( i have already done a lot of customisation).. please tell me what additional information do i need to provide to get help. i am new to linux so you will have to tell me the exact command that i need to execute to get the information...plz help
thanks
sid