Xserver memory consupmtion

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Jun 17 01:50:13 UTC 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 21:42, Petr Fischer wrote:
> My graphics card is old (dusty) NVidia GeForce2 MX 400 (64MB).
> But 628MB of virtual memory consumed by X server? This is realy big
> number - my harddrive is stressed.
>
> pf
>
> Markku Kolkka píše v Pá 17. 06. 2005 v 00:38 +0300:
> > Petr Fischer kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 17.
> >
> > kesäkuuta 2005 00:15):
> > > Process: /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> > > Memory: 628MB
> > > VM size: 628MB
> > > Resident memory: 518MB
> > > RSS memory: 518MB
> > >
> > > Why is memory consuption of X server so big?
> >
> > How much video memory does your display card have? X maps the
> > video RAM to its memory space, which increases the VM size but
> > doesn't actually consume main RAM.
> >
> > --
> >  Markku Kolkka
> >  markku.kolkka at iki.fi
I deal a lot with photo sites, often containing more than a thousand large
(25MB+) images... (no not porn, get your mind out of the gutter)
Anyway, my X server often grows to about 1.5GB and I end up restarting X.
There is a nice program out there called xrestop
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/xrestop/) that can show you where the memory
might go...

Peter.