Unreadable Characters in FC4 fstab

Seth Art sethart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 04:17:22 UTC 2005

Below is a copy of my fstab.  On boot i get a message complaining that
there is an error on line 8 of my fstab.   Has anyone else seen
something like this?   Besides the error on bootup everything works
fine.  Can i take line 8 out and change like 9 to:
/dev/swap            /swap         swap defaults 0 0

I wanted to run it by the list before i messed around with fstab.
Does anyone know why this happened.  As you can see i mounted an NTFS
drive (line 10) but if i remember correctly the unreadable characters
(in both gedit and vi) appeared even the first time i opened the file.

Thanks,
Seth

1  # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
2   LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
3   LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
4   /dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
5   /dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
6   /dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
7   /dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
8   LABEL=\uffff^C^C^E|
9   ^U\uffff\uffffp\uffff\uffffp   swap                    swap
defaults        0 0
10  /dev/hde1               /mnt/data               ntfs
ro,defaults,umask=0222  0 0
11  /dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
12  /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0