smallest possible network, was Re: VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 04:52:40 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is another idea.  I don't know if this will work, it seems like
> it might, but since you already have a hub, it's at least worth a
> shot.  Plug your 802.11b AP into the hub, then the computer (one
> ethernet port) and the VOIP device both into the hub.  This might not
> work because of the differences between hubs and routers, but it just
> might.  And you won't have to setup your computer to run NAT (though,
> since you have two NICs, it might be something you want to do later).
> Oh, and as far as your last question, a hub is meant to be transparant
> (which is one difference from a router) so you shouldn't see it.  It
> should be just like talking directly to the VOIP device.  You just
> don't need a crossover cable if using a hub.  You might not need a
> crossover cable anyway if the device can sense whether it needs to do
> crossover or not (as mentioned by someone else above).
>
> Jonathan

I've been reading the pdf manual (lost the paper version).  err,when
all else fails read the manual?  on page 4 there's a picture of the
wl-330g connected to a switch:

"Device Installation

Using DC power

1.  Insert one end of the supplied RJ-45 cable to the WL-330g Ethernet
port.

2.  Insert the other of the RJ-45 cable to a network hub, switch,
router or wall
patch Ethernet port.

3.  Connect the power adapter plug to the WL-330g DC-IN socket.

4.  Connect the WL-330g power adapter to a wall socket.

5.  Connect the network hub, switch, or router power adapter plug to
the DC-IN socket of the device.

6.  connect the network hub, switch, or router power adapter to a wall
socket."

in the picture there's a third socket/hole/button/whatever on the far
right.  I can't find any mention as to what this is.

also, I have a hub, not a switch.

 and, on page 19 the manual states that

"Device setup

Using the device in a local network

You can use the WL-330g to connect a WLAN-enabled computer to a local
network with
or without a DHCP server.

To connect a WLAN-enabled computer to a local network:

1.  Switch the WL-330g to AP mode.  (Default SSID: AP xxxxx), then turn
on the
device.

2.  Connect one end of the supplied RJ-45 cable to the Ethernet port of
the device
and the other end to the Ethernet port of the local network.

3.)  Use the WLAN adapter software in the WLAN enabled computer to
perform a Site
Survey.  Make sure the computer's WLAN adapter is set to Infrastructure
mode.

4.)  Establish connection with the WL-330g.

5.)  Set the IP configuration of the computer to establis connection to
the local
network.  Verify you connection.

Use the Wireless Setting Utility to change WL-330g SSID or encryption
settings."

so, I was wrong.  the wl-330g is smarter than I, for whatever reason,
had thought.  However, even this is, ultimately, the best set-up, I'm
going in a different direction.  I want proof that the cables and hub
work.  to that end, I just want some ftp, or whatever, between my two
computers.

I've named my two computers arrakis and caladan.

I've got:

internet          ==>     router
router             ==>     wl-330g
wl-330g          ==>	 eth0 of arrakis
eth1 of arrakis	==>	hub
hub                ==>     eth0 of caladan

now, I'll look in <http://www.tldp.org/> for info about this.  here's
my sysctl.conf file:

[thufir at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

# Do not accept source routing
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
[thufir at localhost ~]$

I'll start with the basics.  do I want a Virtual Private Network?
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO/x192.html>

I just want transfer a small file between the computers as a test.

thanks,

-Thufir