FC4 upgrade problem

Ralph Jones ralph at nomeking.com
Fri Jun 17 14:16:23 UTC 2005

I'm trying to upgrade FC3 to FC4. The installation goes smoothly until
shortly after starting to read disk 2, whereupon it crashes while trying to
upgrade xorg-x11-6.8.2-31.i386. It gives a message indicating the error is
fatal and may be caused by lack of space or defective media.

The disks have passed the media check twice. I note that the latest xorg
version on the install disk is xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.i386.

The FC4 kernel is now the only installation present, and it fails to start
X; when I try to login, I get a message indicating the session has
terminated immediately and suggesting I use a failsafe session. The system
does accept the failsafe login, and all the services seem to be present
except X.

If I boot from the installation disk and load the rescue console, df -k
shows filesystem /tmp/loop0 is 100% full with 196808 1K blocks; this
filesystem is not present when I boot from the hard disk and load the
failsafe session.

Suggestions? Thanks...

rj