Re: How to Install Xfce on FC4?

On 6/16/05, Jonathan Pickard <Jonathan Pickard intelligroup co nz> wrote:
> >>try
> >>yum install "xfce*"
> >>
> >>It is working for me to pull in xfce and the related programs.
> >>
> >>Jim
> >>
> >>=============================================================================
> >>Install     22 Package(s)
> >>Update       0 Package(s)
> >>Remove       0 Package(s)
> >>Total download size: 8.2 M
> >>Is this ok [y/N]: y
> >>Downloading Packages:
> >>(1/22): xfce-mcs-plugins- 100% |=========================| 415 kB    00:02
> >>

> >If you go back and look at my first message, that's the first thing I
> >did.  But I didn't get the same result.  I got the error:
> >

> or just use yum install xfce\*
>
> --

I just finished installing xfce on a second machine with a fresh
install of FC4.  Thanks to this discussion, it was a much smoother
process.  What worked for me was putting the quotes around "xfce*" in

yum install "xfce*"

For my edification, could someone explain to me why

yum install "xfce*"

or

yum install xfce*\

would work, but not