Fedora 4 on USB hard disk, GRUB PROBLEM;

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 16:03:06 UTC 2005

On 6/17/05, Mirco Scara <mircobeaker at hotpop.com> wrote:
> Hello there all.
> Here I am with another silly question that's buggin me.
> I am planning today to install fedora core 4 on my usb external hard
> disk alongside Windows Xp.
> I have already tried this process but with partially successfull results
> as FEDORA 4/anaconda recognized properly the usb hard disk and offered
> to install on such hard disk.
> What puzzled me was the GRUB configuration.
> As I have always installed fedora on  a secondary internal hard disk, I
> chose to install GRUB on the MBR.

You installed GRUB to the MBR of *which* disk?  Is that disk the
primary boot device?  I'm don't know if the installer can install GRUB
to the MBR of a USB disk automatically or not.  I chose to do it the
manual way, see below.

> The installation completed succesuflly but  at reboot NO GRUB therefore
> no Fedora.
> QUESTION?
> WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I SELECT IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO HAVE GRUB INSTALLED
> PROPERLY AND THEREFORE OBTAIN THE SELECTION OF OPERTING SYSTEMS AT BOOT?

Please don't shout (indicated by all caps).  I posted some notes about
this very thing just two days ago:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-June/msg02452.html
I suggest that you read the PDF at the URL in that email (last link on
the indicated page).  Also look at step 8. in my description.  You
should figure out what your disk and partition numbers should be.
Also note you need to make your own initrd with the USB modules in it
for Fedora to boot.  My email has some notes and the PDF has much
detail.

> THANK YOU.
>
> MIRCO

Jonathan