yum updated grub.conf badly

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 16:13:17 UTC 2005

Michael Hennebry wrote:

>Shortly fter reinstalling FC3 yet again,
>I ran yum --update.
>After the next boot,
>my machine froze solid during login.
>
>Previously, this had been caused by
>trying to run an SMP kernel on a hyper-threaded cpu.
>For some evil reason, the SMP kernel was the default.
>Whoever made that decision should be shot.

You cant use HT features without using an SMP kernel. So when installer
detects a HT enabled system it installs the SMP kernel by default. Looks
a pretty sane decision to me. Now if the kernel crashes for you it is
probably due to some other problem. It would be a good idea to report
that into bugzilla

regards
Rahul