NetworkManager, Wireless and Fedora FC4

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jun 17 17:35:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, D S wrote:

> On 6/17/05, Ray Hooker <ray.hooker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One of the biggest pains with the Redhat line is the weak support for
>> wireless (even a very old version of Knoppix automatically detects and
>> sets up cards).  It appears that there is a new app to fix it:
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager

It's been around since FC2 or 3, but it's just starting to get robust
enough for general use.

>> I also see it referenced in Clemson's HOWTO:
>>
>> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml
>>
>> I was excited.  I installed FC4 from scratch.  I noticed that
>> NetworkManager was installed but NetworkManager and NetworkManager
>> Dispatcher were not running.  Also noticed that FC4 seems to detect my
>> Aironet PCI in my Thinkpad T42P.  Iwconfig shows it.  It even detected
>> the SSID of my Linksys which temporarily had broadcast set to on.  The
>> problem is that it does not have an address and there is no cool icon
>> on the task bar in GNOME.  I did notice in KDE that there is a applet
>> for Wireless network monitor.
>>
>> **** I WANT TO DO THIS OUT OF BOX and not with hacks as this new tool
>> is supposed to just "work".

The problem is that it's not always the tool you want.  For a fixed, wired
workstation, or especially a server, or a machine with multiple active
interfaces, it's just not appropriate.

>> So I started the two services (NetworkManager and NetworkManager
>> Dispatcher).  I still see no applet on the task bar nor is it listed
>> in the possible applets.  NetworkManager-Gnome as well as
>> NetworkManager appears to already be installed.  I even did a YUM
>> update (yum install...) just to make sure I had the latest and
>> rebooted.  Still no taskbar icon.  The Clemson help page mentions
>> nm-applet, but I can't seem to find the file, nor am I able to find
>> "Startup Programs tab in the gnome-session-properties application" in
>> the FC4 GNOME menus.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.  Again I want to make so that I use as
>> much built in as possible and avoid other packages and hacks unless
>> needed to support a particular card (e.g, Cisco or Intel Wireless such
>> as IPW2200).. I did look and see that the Cisco ACU appears to be old
>> and may not apply to this particular PCI card.  I am not sure the
>> model as even WindowsXP does not indicate anything more than Aironet
>> PCI.
>>
>> Ray

> Run NetworkManagerInfo

Actually, if this is the tool you want to use permanently, do the
following (worked for me on FC3):

     Set up to let NM control your network at boot (as root)

 	(1) # /sbin/chkconfig network off
 	(2) # /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager on

     Start NM to control your network now (as root)

 	(3) # /sbin/service network stop
 	(4) # /sbin/service NetworkManager start

     Start the client (as yourself)

 	(5) $ NetworkManagerInfo  (This should start the scanner icon on
 		the toolber).
 	(6) Follow the clemson.edu instructions for attaching yourself
 		to the network.
 	(7) Log out and select "save current setup".
 	(8) Log back in.  The NM icon should start up.

Yes, I think there should be a menu item to start NetworkManagerInfo.
Maybe next release...

HTH.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman