fc3 & mysql clustering

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 17 20:15:21 UTC 2005

bruce wrote:
> ankush,
>
> fault tolerance/redundancy is not just an issue of multiple mysql databases.
> the issue os redundancy has to be approached from a top/system level. you
> essentially need to have the ability to essentially turn off a machine, and
> have the backup take over...
>
> most situations require a sort of slave/master configuration with whatever
> machine is the slave being tied to the master, in terms of data/process
> replication... if the master is working correctly, the slave simply acts as
> a backup... if the master goes down, the slave takes over, performing as the
> new master.. when the master comes back on line.. it gets 'up to speed' and
> may or may not resume the role of the master, or the slave...
>
> this kind of configuration requires an understanding of the required
> processes from the apache/mysql/application points of view.
>
> if you've never created this kind of system, i would strongly advise that
> you talk to someone who's created these systems. if your app is going to be
> in a critical area of the hospital, then you don't want to screw this up.

Bottom post, people, bottom post please!

Fault tolerance, as Bruce said, is not a trivial thing.  We do it all
the time, but you have to throw iron at it, either by HA hardware and
software or by fronting the cluster with a hardware load balancer
(Alteon AD3, F5, Radware, etc.).

The real trick is redundant database servers.  You typically have to
set up a master/slave or active/passive failover system.  The problem is
in keeping the database on the inactive server synchronized with the
active one.  This can be done with transaction logs, physical synching
and several other methods.  There are benefits and drawbacks to each one
and they're not foolproof.  Microsoft's database clustering stuff is
a freaking nightmare.  Oracle's is much better.  PostgreSQL has some
HA stuff, but I've never used it.  AFAIK, MySQL has no such mechanism
(I could be wrong on that).

You have to REALLY analyze what you're trying to accomplish before you
go headlong into this.  It ain't easy and it ain't for the faint-of-
heart.

-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -