How to auto-unload kernel modules?

Back in the 2.4.x days one could periodically run "rmmod -as" to unload
those kernel modules that were not in use.  How does get the same
functionality with contemporary kernels?

I have a machine that is very rarely rebooted but somewhat low on system
memory.  I find the the number of kernel modules in use goes up over
time.  A given module is demand-loaded as needed but remains indefinitely
after the need for it is gone.

So... how can I auto-unload 2.6.x kernel modules?

Thanks.