[Fedora] Re: FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 18 13:42:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 13:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I was responding to the person who said
> 2. Myself and many other people, who always
> backup/format/install/restore, have no issues. If anything, the
> installer is getting better all the time.
>
> The clear implication of this seemed to me to be
> that he was a person of superior intellect
> who didn't have problems installing Fedora
> like lesser minds like me.
----
Not sure why you seem to take everything so peronally.
----

> I like Fedora, but in my experience it is greatly inferior
> to other distributions _at the point of installation_.
> This is not the only or even the main matter
> when judging between distributions.
> Eg SuSE is better at installing on different machines
> than Fedora, but there are other aspects of SuSE
> which lead me to prefer Fedora.
> Knoppix is by far the best at booting, in my experience,
> and I would advise anyone having problems installing Fedora
> to see if the Knoppix CD will boot on their machine,
> as if it does then they will probably succeed in installing Fedora
> sooner or later.
>
> I'm sorry, but I remain of the opinion
> than anaconda not only has serious deficiencies,
> but does not have in place proper mechanisms for dealing with them.
----
You are talking about installing on hardware that is not mainstream type
hardware. I have found it always tough to install Linux on systems with
Intel 440_X boards and my Sony PictureBook is always an adventure.

The anaconda installer has always worked fine for me but I am very
cautious to do things like burn the cd's at very low speed, do md5sum
(now sha1sum) on downloaded iso's, media check. Then of course upgrades
require a bunch of fiddling afterward.

Craig