any reason for things SMP on a single processor

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Jun 18 16:51:54 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Is you single CPU a modern Pentium IV with Hyperthreading? If yes, you
>may want to use the SMP kernel, else it is safe to remove them (don't
>remove them while you accidentally run one of them!). The GFS kernel is
>only needed if you want to use GFS (it is a filesystem, there is
>documentation about it at redhat.com).
>
>Alexander

Thank you, Alexander. I was hoping you would have the time/inclination
to respond.
I do have a 2.8 P4 with hyperthreading, but you say that I 'may' want to
use this kernel. What considerations should govern this decision, or is
there a page that discusses this more in depth that you can refer me to?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA