any reason for things SMP on a single processor

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 18 17:04:04 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 18.06.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 18:51:

> Thank you, Alexander. I was hoping you would have the time/inclination
> to respond.
> I do have a 2.8 P4 with hyperthreading, but you say that I 'may' want to
> use this kernel. What considerations should govern this decision, or is
> there a page that discusses this more in depth that you can refer me to?

> Claude Jones

Here I am :)
I said "may" because it should not sound as a general recommendation to
use the Hyperthreading mode of your processor. In many cases
Hyperthreading (virtually 2 CPUs while being physically 1 single CPU
core) can improve the operation speed. If running several applications
in parallel you can have the feeling that applications react more
smoothly. On the other hand I remember reports where active
Hyperthreading reduced the CPU operation speed over all. So it depends
on what you are doing in specific with your system.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:59:36 up 25 days, 17:37, load average: 0.48, 0.21, 0.12