Find Warning..

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 18 22:03:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:41:06PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:39:30PM +0200, Jos? Javier Cuadrado wrote:
> > Hello i just did a fresh install of FC4 and when i do a find i get the following warning. Any tips to fix it?
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > find / -name <whatever>
> > find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.
> > --
> Running find on /proc is bound to cause problems. /proc is not a real
> filesystem it is simulated filesystem created by the kernel to hold
> various characteristics of your system.

This does seem to be a harmless bug in the /proc filesystem.

When I first saw this I dismissed it as the fast moving nature of
the /proc filesystem.  Find can often toss out errors because what it found and
what it 'sees'  (stat etc.) might not match or even still be a moment later.

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.
/proc
/proc/bluetooth

But Looking a little bit closer...
# ls -lid /proc
1 dr-xr-xr-x  140 root root 0 Jun 17 22:07 /proc
# ls -ali /proc | wc
    164    1636   11843

So this is why find is tellig us that something is wrong.
There are 24 some 'things' that do not have an inode linked to
/proc itself.

It is a pseudo filesystem intended to communicate to the user
various kernel and process info.   It should have all the
correctness of any filesystem so I suspect a real bug.

As best I can tell this is harmless.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)