Re: IMAP and SMTP AUTH using sendmail?

I followed the instructions for sendmail SMTP AUTH. It works great. Now my next question:

User account management-- is there a way to just add users to a database as oppose to adding a linux account (am I using the right terminology? I mean accounts that could log in to my linux computer).

Preferably, accounts in a MySQL DB would be great. But maybe just a simple configuration file? What are my options?