Systematic Upgrade from Fedora 1 -> 4

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Jun 18 23:52:37 UTC 2005

Ben Steeves wrote:

>On 6/18/05, Tyler Nally <tnally at technally.com> wrote:
>

>>How do I systematically upgrade it to Fedora 4?
>>I'm assuming I have to upgrade to 2, then 3, then 4 before
>>I'm done.... is this correct?
>>

>I would highly recommend against trying to do that upgrade.  It's
>probably not worth the pain.
>
>The best thing to do would be to back up your /home directory (and
>other things you might have changed like /var/www and /var/lib/mysql),
>and directories that contain configuration information (like /etc) --
>you won't want to restore these but they can be helpful to refer back
>to in order to get your new system working like the old one.
>
>When you do re-install, put your /home filesytem on a separate
>partition; it will make upgrading/re-installing far less painful in
>the future!

I've heard this advice repeatedly, but haven't given it much thought.
Now, I'm curious. In installing, I've never noticed an option to install
particular folders on particular partitions. Is this something I've
simply missed, or is there a procedure for doing this? A howto would be
welcome - I'm willing to learn on my own.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA