Re: Systematic Upgrade from Fedora 1 -> 4

Ben Steeves wrote:

On 6/18/05, Tyler Nally <tnally technally com> wrote:

How do I systematically upgrade it to Fedora 4?
I'm assuming I have to upgrade to 2, then 3, then 4 before
I'm done.... is this correct?

I would highly recommend against trying to do that upgrade. It's probably not worth the pain.

The best thing to do would be to back up your /home directory (and
other things you might have changed like /var/www and /var/lib/mysql),
and directories that contain configuration information (like /etc) --
you won't want to restore these but they can be helpful to refer back
to in order to get your new system working like the old one.

When you do re-install, put your /home filesytem on a separate
partition; it will make upgrading/re-installing far less painful in
the future!

I've heard this advice repeatedly, but haven't given it much thought. Now, I'm curious. In installing, I've never noticed an option to install particular folders on particular partitions. Is this something I've simply missed, or is there a procedure for doing this? A howto would be welcome - I'm willing to learn on my own.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA