Help in Partitioning the Disk

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:54:01 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 11:11 -0700, Ravinder Siriseni wrote:
> > Hai all !!!!!!!!! I worked on the Linux. I have used the redhat series
> > and now i want to shift to the fedora core series ........Though i
> > know that i am very late in working in the New versions of
> > fedora ....... can any one plzz help me out the best way that i can
> > partition the disk of 160 GB on fedora core 3 .
> ----
> The installer will do that for you

I think he might have been asking for "best practices" in
partitioning, not the actual mechanics.  I would recommend putting the
/home directory on a separate partition, just to make future
upgrades/installations less painful.

Depending on what you install, your / partition could be as small as a
couple of gigs, but since you have a big drive, I'd recommend going
with about 20GB for / -- more if you're planning on running a database
or something (and if you are, you might want to put /var in a separate
partition too).  Once you've determined that, use the rest of the
space for /home -- it's probably where most of your data will go.

Of course, these are just recommendations.  Everyone has their own
personal partitioning scheme.
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves