Netgear WAG511 Card in FC4

R L fedora26 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 01:28:28 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:15:30PM -0400, R L wrote:
> > Ok, well mine is in Taiwan.  I did what you said and my dmesg says
> > Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.2.  And I have it loaded as a module.
> >  So that is good.  However, when I do "iwconfig", I get:
> >
> > lo    no wireless extensions
> > eth0  no wireless extensions
> > sit0   no wireless extensions
> >
> > And when I do iwconfig eth0 essid 123456 I get:
> >
> > SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.
> >
> > eth0 is my pc slot WAG511 card right?
>
> I don't know. That depends on what other network interfaces your laptop
> has. Do you have a built-in wired ethernet interface? Most probably yes,
> so this will end up as eth0, and your WG511 as eth1. So that
> lo/eth0/sit0 have no wireless extension support is absolutely correct.
>
> > It's not sit0 right? I tried sit0 and it wouldnt even load the prism
> > driver.
>
> No, sit0 is a virtual interface used for IPv6 tunneling. Just ignore.
>
> > Now why can't I configure eth0 with iwconfig?
>
> Because it's most probably your wired ethernet interface. Try eth1
>
> Also check: fgrep " eth" /var/log/dmesg and you'll see what devices
> are detected as ethX
>
> If you got this clarified, you should use the network configuration
> tool to configure your card. No need to fiddle with iwconfig etc.
>

> Best regards,
> Daniel

eth0 is my Broadcom 4400 10/100 BaseT Ethernet.  I tried what you said
by changing eth0 to eth1 in my modprobe.conf.  That didn't work; prism
didn't get loaded and iwconfig dosen't show an eth1 nor does dmesg. So
what in the world could be my wireless card adapter?  I tried changing
it to wi0 to see what happened and no go.

The only devices it sees as eth* is eth0 which is the built in one.