Is it worth installing FC4?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 19 14:27:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:23:26 -0400
Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:

> The problems with Intel video cards seem to be corrected by replacing
> the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> file from the FC4 version of xorg-x11 with a working
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> from an FC3 working installation, or getting the file from extracting
> the file from a working rpm for xorg-x11 for FC3.

> I upgraded a machine with an Intel 815 and another computer with an
> Intel 865G video cards and X works, the terminals are less than in
> working order.
> After the FC4 file is replaced with the FC3 file, the terminals are in
> working order again after you reboot your system.

Now the big question is - does DRI survive an acpi suspend/resume cycle
(or better yet, a swsusp2 suspend/resume cycle) on Intel cideo cards?
That's the major hurdle I had to get over with my laptop, and I finally
did it using CVS versions of xorg and a rebuilt kernel with patched i915
driver from Ubuntu.  After all, a laptop that can't use suspend and resume
properly is about 1/10 as useful as one that does.

Refresh rate wasn't really an issue for me on this laptop (JVC MP-XV841
subnotebook) - only the nonstandard resolution of 1024x600 gave FC3
trouble, which was corrected easily enough after my FC3 install.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!