ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 drivers

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Jun 20 20:09:26 UTC 2005

On 19 Jun 2005 at 16:15, R L wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:15:18 -0400
From:           	R L <fedora26 at gmail.com>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 drivers
Send reply to:  	R L <fedora26 at gmail.com>,
       	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> I am trying to get drivers for my Inspiron notebook.  It has a ATi
> Mobility Radeon 9800.  I am using a custom kernel that I downloaded
> and compiled, 2.6.12.  When I:
> yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-`(uname -r)` , there is no
> module for 2.6.12.  How would I install the drivers in my situation?
>
> And this is totally unrelated and I didn't want to start another
> email, but has anyone successfuly GHOSTED (Norton Ghost) a Fedora Core
> 4 drive?  In Fedora Core 3 you couldn't do that.  There would be
> errors.  Wondering if FC4 would be any different.  Probably not.

As an addition to another response, Norton Ghost can do a copy if
sector mode, but it then copies every sector, and results in a large
file if these sectors contain random information. This is also true with
G4U and G4L, since they do raw copies with dd. Clearing out the
unused sectors makes a huge difference. Once did an image after a
clearn install of a 80GB drive, create a 12GB image. Then cleared
the unused sectorrs, and created a new mage, only 2.5GB. I also
found using the lzop compress instead of gzip results in about twice
the speed, but about 15% larger image.

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  16,802
Processing time:  31 years,  55 days, 21 hours, 26 minutes
(Total Hours: 272,901)