fdisk: wrong system type

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 00:11:08 UTC 2005

cd1 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently modified a partition (replacing W95-FAT32 by a Linux) using fdisk.
>I was able to format it (filesystem ext3) and can mount it without any
>problem as a Linux partition.
>
>But fdisk still display it on the previous system type (see hereafter).
>
>Why W95-FAT32 still displayed ?
>And how to correct it ?
>Note: my system is FC3
>
>Thanks
>
>(...)
>fdisk -l
>Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/sda1   *           1         637     5116671    b  W95 FAT32
>/dev/sda2             638       19700   153123547+  83  Linux
>/dev/sda3           19701       19929     1839442+  82  Linux swap
>(...)
>
>mount
>/dev/sda1 on /mnt/test type ext3 (rw)
>(...)
>
>Bye,
>Bruno

As mentioned by other replies, the partiton type is independent of what
the partition actually contains. Using fdisk /dev/sda you can type p to
display the partition details. After seeing what your partitions look
like, you would type t to togle the partition type, then you should be
prompted for which partition to toggle type. You enter 1 for the first
partition (sda1) and for the type you enter 83 for Linux. After you
toggle the partition type, typing p should print what your partitions
should be identified as. If satisfied with the partition types, you type
w to save your partition information to disk.

If this does not work, I have no idea as to the problem.

Jim

--
All new:
	Parts not interchangeable with previous model.