yum dependency errors with libssl and libcrypto

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 21 13:34:56 UTC 2005

When I run "yum update" on my FC-4 system (upgraded from FC-3)
I get a large number of dependency errors
of which the following are a sample:
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: mysql-server
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: kdenetwork
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: samba
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: kdesdk
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.5 is needed by package postgresql-libs
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 is needed by package authd

What is puzzling (to me) is that I have libssl.so.5 and libcrypto.so.5 , eg
[root at alfred tim]# locate libssl.so.5
/lib/libssl.so.5
[root at alfred tim]# ls -ls /lib/libssl.so.5
4 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Jun 14 20:10 /lib/libssl.so.5 ->
libssl.so.0.9.7f
[root at alfred tim]# rpm -qf /lib/libssl.so.5
file /lib/libssl.so.5 is not owned by any package

As far as I can see, files installed by a package as symbolic links
are not regarded as belonging to the package?

I suspect my problem may be that yum installed these files
as part of the i686 version of openssl :
[root at alfred tim]# grep openssl /var/log/rpmpkgs
openssl-0.9.7f-7.i686.rpm
openssl-devel-0.9.7f-7.i386.rpm
(without any particular request from me)
and that the i686 version is somehow incompatible
with the i386 version of other packages.

In any case, I've tried various subterfuges,
but have not succeeded in getting "yum update" to work on this machine.
[It works OK on another machine with x86_64 distribution
also updated from FC-3.]
There are too many dependency errors
to exclude all the packages involved.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366