yum dependency errors with libssl and libcrypto

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 21 20:01:34 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> But your query is wrong anyway. The dependencies you see are on
> "libssl.so.5", which is not a file, but a "shared object name":
>
>   $ rpm --query --whatprovides libssl.so.5
>   openssl-0.9.7f-7

You are quite right, thanks.

        [tim at alfred ~]$ rpm --query --whatprovides libssl.so.5
        openssl-0.9.7f-7
        [tim at alfred ~]$ rpm --query --whatprovides libcrypto.so.5
        openssl-0.9.7f-7
[I had assumed that -f was the same as --whatprovides .]

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to help with my problem,
which is why I get a large number of dependency errors,
all referring to libssl.so.5 or libcrypto.so.5 ,
although both these appear to be in place,
provided by the package openssl-0.9.7f-7.i686.rpm .

I'm not clear why there is a reference to openssl.i386 0:0.9.7a-42.1
in the exerpt below;
this appears to be an old package which is no longer present.
(I should say that I upgraded from FC-3 to FC-4,
and have in fact upgraded on this machine all the way from Redhat-8.2 ,
as none of the distribution kernels have run on this SCSI-only box.)

If anyone has any advice or suggestion
how I can get round the dependency errors
(some of which I give below)
I shall be very grateful.

[root at alfred tim]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
pre-extras                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
home                      100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package spamassassin.i386 0:3.0.4-1.fc3 set to be updated
---> Package spamass-milter.i386 0:0.3.0-6.fc3 set to be updated
---> Package nmh.i386 0:1.1-8.fc3 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.4 for package: spamassassin
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.4 for package: spamassassin
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package openssl.i386 0:0.9.7a-42.1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: postgresql-libs
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: authd
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: subversion
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: kdelibs
[Many such lines deleted]
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: kdesdk
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.5 is needed by package postgresql-libs
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 is needed by package authd
[Many such lines deleted]
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.5 is needed by package kdesdk

Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366