Visualizations

C.Beamer cbeamer at interlynx.net
Wed Jun 22 01:27:51 UTC 2005

Hi,

This is a bit of a rant and I'm sorry for that.  However, before I
start, let me say that I have been using Redhat since the days of 5.2
and have remained faithful through FC3 and now FC4.

FC4 is great except for a few things and I can't seem to find any place
to get definitive solutions.  I use KDE by choice and in particular one
application, Krecipes, has to be built.  FC4, by default installs gcc
4.0.0.8.  KDE has actually blacklisted that version of gcc because it
apparently causes KDE apps to miscompile.  So, first off, I can't
install Krecipes.  I can't install a lesser version of gcc to co-inhabit
on my hard drive - I tried, but it didn't work.  Any pertinent solution
here would be appreciated.

Second, I installed amaroK, which works fine.  I DO have libvisual and
libvisual-devel on my system.  However, in order for the visualizations
to work in amaroK, amaroK needs the libvisual-plugin and although you
can install amaroK from FC4 rpms, it does not include the plugin to make
the visualizations work within amaroK.  And because amaroK is a KDE
application, it is unlikely that I can build any of the amaroK related
programs from source tarball.  Again, any direction here would be
appreciated.

Take care,

Colleen