newbie first computer

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 22 01:44:08 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 03:10 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 2:14 pm, ron wrote:
> > Hello Claude,

>>> snip

> > I am also having problems with installing software from discs that came
> > with my sony lcd (to adjust picture settings) and my belkin ups (to
> > install shutdown software). The cds are mounted and I can see a lot of
> > windows files and some linux tar files that I can open I have no idea
> > what to put were and what to execute.

>>> snip again

> As far as getting your LCD and your Belkin products to 'talk' Linux, I'll
> be surprised if you're going to find Linux versions of the apps on those
> CD's. Some manufacturers have written Linux versions of their drivers and
> apps, but very, very, few. But, if you do the research, you'll probably
> find someone who has written applications in Linux to accomplish what you
> want - certainly for adjusting the LCD - I'm not so sure about the Belkin.

Here's an article about getting the Belkin UPS software to work in Fedora:
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/ups/.

Another approach is to use nut (http://us1.networkupstools.org/), and there is
a second Fedora News article (linked from the first article):
(http://fedoranews.org/contributors/kazutoshi_morioka/nut/) that gives some
more detail.

I'm aware of one other UPS monitoring program (apcupsd), but I believe that is
for APC UPS's only.

Can't help with the LCD monitor -- I still use a combination CRT/space heater.

-- cmg