misc questions

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Wed Jun 22 04:40:51 UTC 2005

1) I have two machines, suggestively called FC4 and FC2. On FC4 I'm
running NFS and I export two partitions to the local network. On FC2 I use
automount to mount them. All is well as long as the firewall is off on
FC4, but there's "no route to host" or something like this when I bring
the firewall up on FC4. I opened 2049, 111 tcp and udp on FC4, to no avail.
What ports should I open on FC4?

2) What ever happened to Start Here? I really liked to have a container
with all the system and preferences tools, rather than choose them from a
menu list as it is now.

3) Would it be possible to have an option in the FC4 installer to choose
between graphical or text boot? I really hate it that every time I have to
manually change the boot level to 3.

4) Is acroread 7 available anywhere? I can't seem to find it on any
repository. I did check out evince, and it's fine, but I need to give
slide-show presentations and acroread is the tool for that.

5) On a laptop on which I just installed FC4, the Ctrl key is not in the
right place (that's a sin!), i.e. in the lower left corner. In it's place
is the Fn key. Is it possible to swap the two? I ran xev and it does see
the Ctrl key, but it does not see Fn, so I suspect it's not possible, but
I asked anyway.

6) Is support for dxr3 included in FC4?

7) I'm sad to see things like gv go (hopefully pan is coming back), but
I'm "happy" to see that I have 40M of japanese fonts. Is the tetex-xdvi
dependency to japanese fonts really necessary? Can that be removed?