FC3 continually hanging or crashing machine. . OK when X not running. OK in FC2

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 22 07:38:30 UTC 2005

Clive at Rational wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am running FC2 and FC3 on a no-name laptop (2.8
> Ghz 512Mb). FC3 is a very up-to-date kernel - about
> 2.6.11 I think.
>
>    Now when the machine runs FC3 in a command-line
> mode it seems very stable and services Samba clients
> well. When I start X, the machine hangs within
> minutes. It is no longer possible to ping the machine,
> no longer possible to telnet to it - it just "locks
> up".
>
>    The only way to recover the machine is a power off
> and power on - I get lots of horrible inode and
> directory error messages when fsck is run. I do not
> have the technical knowledge to know where to find the
> relevant log files that might show what happened just
> before the failure. If you can tell me where to look,
> I can post more diagnostic info.
>
>    When the machine runs an FC2 kernel (2.6.7 ?) the
> machine seems stable for days, running either command
> line or with X active. I am going to run some more
> tests on FC2. Can someone tell me what extra
> diagnostics I need to collect to help in tracking down
> this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Undoubtably I would look at what video card drivers you require and what
you are actually running.

I believe we changed from XFree86 to X.org going from FC2 to FC3 so I
would say you need to look at your X server software first.

lspci should tell you what video card the PCI subsystem has detected, so
you may need to play with different drivers?

Regards,
Ed.