authentication in apache for a subdirectory

Hey,

  I want to configure authentication for a particular directory and
subdirectories below that directory.

I have written these entries in httpd.conf ,but authentication is not working.

<Directory  /var/www/html/open/hms/modules>
  AllowOverride   AuthConfig
  AuthType   Basic
  AuthName  "Access to the Modules"
  AuthUserFile   /opt/htpasswd/passwd.users
  Require        valid-user
   </Directory>

Can anybody tell me why the authentication is not working.I want that
any user who tries to access modules directory or anyother directory
below should be prompt for username and password .

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover