authentication in apache for a subdirectory

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 15:38:05 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:
> Hey,
>
>   I want to configure authentication for a particular directory and
> subdirectories below that directory.
>
> I have written these entries in httpd.conf ,but authentication is not working.
>
> <Directory  /var/www/html/open/hms/modules>
>   AllowOverride   AuthConfig

Probably not what you want - this allows overrides in .htaccess files -
you're specifying your authentication directly.  Shouldn't hurt though.

>   AuthType   Basic
>   AuthName  "Access to the Modules"
>   AuthUserFile   /opt/htpasswd/passwd.users
>   Require        valid-user
>    </Directory>

The only thing we add to our configs are the access permission
directives, but I don't know if these are mandatory.  Did you make sure
that your httpd server was restarted after making the changes?  They
won't have any effect otherwise.

I'll give you an example of a config we use here which definitely works.
  Rather than appending this to httpd.conf it's probably better to put
each one in a separate file in /etc/httpd/conf.d as that tends to be
easier to maintain.  Remember that you MUST restart (or reload) httpd
after making these changes for them to have any effect.

<Directory /data/whatever>
         AllowOverride None
         Options None
         Order allow,deny