Browsers for those IE-only sites

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 22 20:58:36 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Yes, I need something that has the 'features' of IE- or at least the
> bugs. The sites in question are hebrew sites, so I don't think that
> links would be of any use, but the problem is not in the right-to-left
> text direction. I think that any sites that are written like these
> would not work in latin-based languages either. Certain pages just
> refresh themselves every half second in Firefox. Others have real
> content in those mouse-over pop-up windows. A lot of hebrew sites are
> like that. I keep complaining to the webmasters, but little (nothing
> ever) gets done. They tell me to go download IE. I explain that
> microsoft does not have a linux version of IE available. No good. Most
> of the sites in question have .asp file extensions. I suspect that
> there are only a few Israeli web design firms, and they insist in
> MS-only code.
>
> In any case, what can be done to use these sites? I do depend on them.
> I had to reboot into windows today to use one. And I was planning on
> erasing that partion when I install FC4 (tomorrow).
>
> Dotan
> http://LyricsList.com
>

> On 6/22/05, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
>>--On Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:27 PM -0400 Tony Nelson
>><tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
>>

>>>There are also some sites that actually require features of MSIE
>>>that don't exist in other browsers.
>>
>>And some sites depend on bugs in MSIE, such as its ignoring of Content-type
>>
>>and inferring the type from some other input such as the initial page
>>content. For instance, I ran into a traceroute page that was outputting
>>HTML, but the MIME type reported was text/plain, so Moz displayed the
>>source instead of the rendered HTML.

When I complain to these MSIE sites, I also do a weblint and verify
the site.  Then I provide the details of the failure.  I also provide
links to the W3C website.  It may not get anywhere fast but at least
they are referred to the "standards" and how to ensure their page
meets some standards.  I seem to get more responsive Webmasters by
taking this approach.  Of course there are those sites that still use
MS-Java.

--
Robin Laing