Re: fdisk : error code 22

1. Please! Instead of hitting reply to some random message, to start a new thread, select the link that appears at the bottom of every email. Thanks

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

I'm trying to change partition type using fdisk but I receive error 22.
What does this error 22 means ?

Reboot (as suggested by the message) doesn't resolve neither update partition type.

(...)
fdisk /dev/sda1

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Hex code (type L to list codes): 83

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.

I have seen this error nearly every time I have used fdisk, but I have never seen any error after a reboot. Is this partition in use? Is this problem preventing you from using the partition as a Linux filesystem?

There are several similar programs on your system i.e. parted, sfdisk. You might even try the GNU mail list. Sorry I couldn't help more!

Scott

The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot.
Syncing disks.
(...)

Thanks for any clue,
-- Bruno