fdisk : error code 22

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jun 23 01:08:40 UTC 2005

1. Please!  Instead of hitting reply to some random message, to start a
new thread, select the link that appears at the bottom of every email.
Thanks

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

>I'm trying to change partition type using fdisk but I receive error 22.
>What does this error 22 means ?
>
>Reboot (as suggested by the message) doesn't resolve neither update partition
>type.
>
>(...)
>fdisk /dev/sda1
>
>Command (m for help): t
>Selected partition 1
>Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
>
>Command (m for help): w
>The partition table has been altered!
>
>Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
>
>WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid
>argument.

I have seen this error nearly every time I have used fdisk, but I have
never seen any error after a reboot.  Is this partition in use?  Is this
problem preventing you from using the partition as a Linux filesystem?

There are several similar programs on your system i.e. parted, sfdisk.
You might even try the GNU mail list.  Sorry I couldn't help more!

Scott