Re: fdisk : error code 22

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

I'm trying to change partition type using fdisk but I receive error 22.
What does this error 22 means ?

Reboot (as suggested by the message) doesn't resolve neither update partition type.

(...)
fdisk /dev/sda1

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Hex code (type L to list codes): 83

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.
The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot.
Syncing disks.
(...)

Thanks for any clue,
-- Bruno

Maybe you stumbled upon a bug, lucky you.  :-)

The commands look right to me. I have an external disk that I can try to toggle types and see if it does as you are seeing.
The only thing that I could guess was that your partition table is in a read only condition by a feature in bios, caused by some AV progam you had on the disk prior. Your partition table might be corrupted and fdisk gives you the invalid argument, error 22 response.

I haven't toggled from fat32 to Linux recently. I did toggle to lvm and it seemed to take. It was a type 83.

Jim