Re: On Board RAID.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:52:11AM -0400, Patrick Luk wrote:
> I have a ASUS A8N-SLI that has 2sets of 4 SATA RAID headers. (1set from
> NVidia and the other from Silicon Image).
> My question is whether we need to install the software driver when we use
> this hardware RAID functionality?

Almost all onboard "raid" controllers are in fact software raid, with some
BIOS goo to assist the software drivers in finding the devices. (And to make
an impressive checklist feature.) So....

> I've tried to disable the raid functionality and use mdadm and it works
> fine.

This is usually significantly better anyway. You get the well-tested Linux
software raid, instead of some random drivers from who-knows-where.