How can I use CD Player?

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 24 01:11:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 17:31 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:

> I use CD Player. I put a CD into the CD drive, I push
> the 'play' button and nothing hapened.

CHeck a couple of things:

1)  Your mixer settings - Make sure that the "CD" channel on your sound
card is both unmuted and turned up.

2)  If that doesn't work, try some of the other mixer settings.
Sometimes, the CD player is actually hooked to a different input.

3)  If *that* doesn't work, make sure there is actually an analog audio
connection from your CD drive to your sound card.  You generally have to
open up the machine for this.

4)  If you don't want to / can't do 3, then use a CD player that can
play the CDs digitally.  Xmms has a plugin for this, I believe.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!