Re: NetworkManager, Wireless and Fedora FC4

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 08:38 -0500, Preston Kutzner wrote:

> I'm having problems getting NetworkManager to work correctly on my
> ThinkPad T30, with the built-in wireless (Prism 2.5 chipset).  By
> default Fedora uses the orinoco drivers, which do work, and I can get my
> wireless card working, but I have to activate it manually every time
> through the 'Network' panel..  I've got the latest version (cvs packages
> mentioned in the clemson walk-through) installed, but I can't get it to
> find any networks around it.  Anybody know of any tricks to get this
> working with my card?
----
one of the problems with laptops and pcmcia cards is that the network
services load before the pcmcia service and though it is counter-
intuitive, ONBOOT = YES makes it not work and ONBOOT = NO makes it work
automatically at startup. I would speculate that the reason is that when
the pcmcia service starts, if it detects the network device as already
working, it won't bother with initializing it.

Craig